Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Our Classroom and Beyond with Augmented Reality

Although augmented reality is not a new concept it is slowly creeping into many classrooms, libraries, and hallways.  Third and fourth grade students in my building recently stepped into the world of augmenting and took our learning beyond our 4 classroom walls. For our first augmented activity I thought the project turned out amazing.

The Project

Step #1:
I contacted our amazing art teacher and asked if she would design a Valentine project that students could use to trigger the augmented reality video.  Of course she said yes and helped our students create an amazing art project.

Step#2
While the students were completing their Valentine projects in art, we started working on a writing project in our classroom.  Students created a graphic organizer and identified items for their topic, "20 Things I Love".

Step #3
Students edited their writing and prepared it to publish.

Step #4
Students used the Chatterpix app to record a video of their writing.

I love this app as much as my students.  It allows my students to be creative but also adds a twist of fun.  Students take a picture of themselves, draw a line for their mouth, add character features (crowns, hats, or glasses), and record their video.  Check out the Chatterpix website.

Step #5
The video was inserted into the Aurasma app.



Step #6
We created our art display in the hallway.

Step #7
The students used the Aurasma app to watch the video with their parents during student led conferences.


What do I LOVE about augmented reality?  

  1. I love the collaboration among our teachers to connect classroom activities such as writing beyond the 4 walls of our individual classrooms.
  2. I love how it allowed our students to connect their artwork to writing in our classroom.  
  3. I love the excitement of students as they were creating.
  4. I love the excitement of parents (and the students) as the students "showed off" and took ownership of their work.

If you are interested in stepping beyond your classroom into the world of augmented reality please check out this great post by blogger Kleinspiration.  The post has some fantastic tips and ideas for using augmented reality in our schools.

As you reach BEYOND your classroom and into the world of augmented reality please comment on this post and share the "awesomeness" happening in your classroom...and beyond.  Share your ideas, pictures, and videos.  

Happy Augmenting!


3 comments:

  1. What a fun way to use augmented reality! I bet the parents loved it! If you'd like to share your post, I'd love for you to link it up to a month long linky of mine on apps in the classroom.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the amazing idea! My students created an author's purpose bulletin board with Aurasma. I will keep checking in for more fabulous ideas!

    ReplyDelete